Monday 13 May 2013

Paragliding!!!


What an amazing experience! Flying is definitely on my cool list, the aim is to learn how to paraglide so I can climb mountains and fly off the top - much easier than walking down again. The day started off like a typical Christchurch autumn day with thick fog and not much wind, but it all cleared by lunchtime, for a beautiful blue-skied day at Taylors Mistake.                              We started learning take-offs running down a hill near Cashmere. Unfortunately there wasn't much wind, and so one flight finished in a very hard landing as the wind disappeared when I was about 1m from the ground. 
It would have been a good crash to catch on camera! Unfortunately I twisted my ankle in the landing and am pretty sure I've torn some important structures that hold my foot to my leg. If I turn my ankle the wrong way it currently feels like my foot is going to dislocate! Now waiting for an ultrasound this Friday to assess the damage, and in the mean time the Sports Doctor at SportsMed has recommended I am "non-weightbearing".

Really gutted, I have so many exciting plans for adventures, and this might put them all on hold. 
I'm currently exploring things I can do - swimming, weights, road cycling (as long as I don't stand on my pedals). 



No comments: